All University of Suffolk Staff and Students get issued an ID Card when they first start. The card is used for a number of functions, including:
- Accessing controlled doors on campus
- Loaning books and resources from the Library
- Identification when sitting exams
- Use of the Konica MFDs/Printers across the Ipswich Campus
- Exiting the car park via the barrier
- Identification for Clinical Placements (Health Staff/Students only)
For security reasons you must keep your ID Card on you at all times and must present it to members of staff or security if requested to do so. If you have forgotten your ID Card you must report to Reception, where you can sign in and use a temporary student card for the day. Please note you will not be able to sign in to lectures with a temporary card, please visit Reception or the Infozone who can register your attendance.
Your ID Card remains the property of IT Services, University of Suffolk. Any abuse of the card may result in confiscation.
In order for your ID Card to be produced, we require a suitable picture of you for idetification purposes. There are a list of conditions that must be met, fail to do so may result in the delay of processing your ID Card. If your picture does not meet our criteria you will receieve an email stating the reason for rejection and will be asked to send a more appropriate image.
The photo must meet the following criteria:
- Portrait Orientation
- Passport Style Photo
- In a JPEG format
- No Snapchat filters (or any other filter)
- Your face must be visible (i.e. no sunglasses/hair covering face)
- File must be named with your Student Number
- Taken on a plain background with sufficient lighting (no objects/people in the background)
You can upload your photo via the applicant portal within the My Application section. You will see a link titled ‘Click here to upload your photo’. Please note when submitting, you may not receive feedback whether the picture has gone through. If you are concerned it hasn't, please contact the ID Cards team.
If you experience problems uploading a photo or are unable to upload a photo you can email one in JPEG format to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, date of birth and student number. If you do not have the facility to upload a photo, you can have a photograph taken in the Infozone free of charge, however we recommend you submit a photo prior to Induction as a delay in receiving your ID card could mean you have limited access to our facilities. Please ensure you check your email after the upload and take any necessary action.
Replacement cards are printed once a week on a Thursday. Students will be notified via a text or email from the Infozone when your card is ready for collection. Staff will receive an email from either IT or Reception when your card is ready.
- If you have lost your University of Suffolk ID Card, there is a £5 charge to replace it. Therefore, we advise you to have a good search for it and wait a couple of days as it can be handed in to either Security, Infozone or the Library
- If you still can't find your ID, a new card can be requested. All lost cards must be paid for via the online shop (this method generates an automatic request for a new card)
- Your request will be processed and available to pick up in the Infozone. You should receive a text when this is ready for collection
- If your card has been stolen you need to report the theft immediately. You can contact the IT Service Desk during office hours: 08:45 - 17:15 Monday to Thursday 08:45 - 16:45 Friday on 01473 338222 and we can disable your card. Out of hours, please contact the University's Security Team on 01473 338999 (24 Hours) who can also offer assistance
- We then advise you contact the Police to report the theft on 101, at the nearest Police station or online via https://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us/report-something (Please visit your area's Police website if the card was stolen in a different county)
- If you provide us with a Crime Reference Number we will happily replace the card for free. A £5 charge may occur if we don't receive a Crime Reference Number
Wear & Tear
- If your card has stopped being read by the card readers or the cardless attendance readers it will need to be brought to the IT Service Desk for a health check
- If the card is not functioning we will re-print a new one at no cost
- This is also true if your barcode or details on the front of the card have worn away
Change of Name/User Details
Our Access Control System, Gallagher receives all of its data via the Student Information System and the Staff Information Systems. Therefore, all data changes are automated and we are unable to make manual adjustments.
For Student Changes:
- You will need to bring original evidence of your changed details (e.g. a marriage certificate) to the Infozone, Ipswich Campus and fill in a change of details form
- This can then be processed by the Data Changes team which will subsequently prompt a new ID Card to be produced
- There is no charge for this service
For Staff Changes:
- Any change of details for users with C/E/T/V numbers must be given to the Human Resources team who can then update their system. Users with P numbers must report changes to the Partnerships team
- Once their systems have been updated, an ID Card will be requested to print with the new details
- There is no charge for this service
The Ipswich Campus has a 24/7 security team based in the Security Control Room, Waterfront Building. The team monitors the whole site, so it is important you carry your ID Card with you at all times, to prove you are authorised to be on the premises. The Security team do undertake regular spot checks across the whole campus.
In the interest of security and safety, please do not allow people to tailgate you through the doors or turnstiles. This will help prevent unauthorised persons accessing the buildings.
If you have forgotten your ID Card, you must report to Reception or Security to gain a temporary access card. Card sharing is not permitted; any person found using a card that does not belong to them may be escorted from the premises. Security will report any unauthorised card use to a member of the ID Cards team and the Duty Estates Manager.
You must present your ID Card if requested by a member of the security team, or by a member of staff (with a valid staff ID Card).
Security have the right to confiscate any card they believe has been misused and escort the offending person(s) offsite.
All visitors must report to Reception on their arrival, to sign in and receive a visitor card. If you are responsible for a visitor, please remember to escort them at all times whilst on the premises and make sure they return to Reception to sign out at the end of their visit.
You can contact the 24/7 security team on 01473 338999 / UOSSecurity@uos.ac.uk