All University of Suffolk Staff and Students get issued an ID Card when they first start. The card is used for a number of functions, including:
- Accessing controlled doors on campus
- Loaning books and resources from the Library
- Identification when sitting exams
- Use of the Konica MFDs/Printers across the Ipswich Campus
- Exiting the car park via the barrier
- Identification for Clinical Placements (Health Staff/Students only)
For security reasons you must keep your ID Card on you at all times and must present it to members of staff or security if requested to do so. If you have forgotten your ID Card you must report to Reception, where you can sign in and use a temporary staff card for the day.
Your ID Card remains the property of IT Services, University of Suffolk. Any abuse of the card may result in confiscation.
ID Card Replacements/Changes
Replacement cards are printed once a week on a Thursday. Students will be notified via a text or email from the Infozone when your card is ready for collection. Staff will receive an email from either IT or Reception when your card is ready.
Lost or Stolen Cards
- If your card has been lost or stolen you need to report this immediately. You can contact the IT Service Desk during office hours: 08:45 - 17:15 Monday to Thursday 08:45 - 16:45 Friday on 01473 338222 and we can disable your card. Out of hours, please contact the University's Security Team on 01473 338999 (24 Hours) who can also offer assistance
- We then advise you contact the Police to report the theft on 101, at the nearest Police station or online via https://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us/report-something (Please visit your area's Police website if the card was stolen in a different county)
Wear & Tear
- If your card has stopped being read by the card readers or the cardless attendance readers it will need to be brought to the IT Service Desk for a health check
- If the card is not functioning we will re-print a new one
- This is also true if your barcode or details on the front of the card have worn away
Change of Name/User Details
Our Access Control System, Gallagher receives all of its data via the Staff Information System which is managed by HR. Therefore, all data changes are automated and we are unable to make manual adjustments at the service desk. Please direct any changes of detail requests to the HR team via email@example.com.
- Any change of details for users with C/E/T/V numbers must be given to the Human Resources team who can then update their system. Users with P numbers must report changes to the Partnerships team
- Once their systems have been updated, an ID Card will be requested to print with the new details
- There is no charge for this service
Ipswich Campus Security
The Ipswich Campus has a 24/7 security team based in the Security Control Room, Waterfront Building. The team monitors the whole site, so it is important you carry your ID Card with you at all times, to prove you are authorised to be on the premises. The Security team do undertake regular spot checks across the whole campus.
In the interest of security and safety, please do not allow people to tailgate you through the doors or turnstiles. This will help prevent unauthorised persons accessing the buildings.
If you have forgotten your ID Card, you must report to Reception or Security to gain a temporary access card. Card sharing is not permitted; any person found using a card that does not belong to them may be escorted from the premises. Security will report any unauthorised card use to a member of the ID Cards team and the Duty Estates Manager.
You must present your ID Card if requested by a member of the security team, or by a member of staff (with a valid staff ID Card).
Security have the right to confiscate any card they believe has been misused and escort the offending person(s) offsite.
All visitors must report to Reception on their arrival, to sign in and receive a visitor card. If you are responsible for a visitor, please remember to escort them at all times whilst on the premises and make sure they return to Reception to sign out at the end of their visit.
You can contact the 24/7 security team on 01473 338999 / UOSSecurity@uos.ac.uk